New Member Introductions

Hello everyone. I just re-downloaded HG:L again yesterday after not playing for years. Looked around and found all this revival stuff and I am absolutely stoked! I’m an original pre-order player and bought into whatever the premium package was back in the day. I played from beta till the day the servers closed then off and on again in single player. Just want to say thank you to all that have been working to make this happen and I cant wait to get home and get all the patches loaded. Hope to team up with some of you in the near future.
FOR THE LIVING!!!

Hello everybody,

after checking the state of things over at the old site and seeing the newest info about London2038, my breath was stopping (well hitching if you mind). Finaly we can - again - dive into the fun that is Hellgate London multiplaya.

After a long long time, not only in intarwebs measurements, there is more than just hope :grin:

Anyway, now I need to find my old CD or backups to start having a blast (see what I did there).

Thanks for having me!

Hey there,

I don’t know, if the german section is “dead”, so I’m posting here, too.
I missed HG:L and at the point I wanted to start with it, the game was shut down. I’m happy, that you guys do something about that. :smiley:

Today I streamed 2 hours of gameplay on Twitch. I’m not aware, if my twitchlink is allowed here, but I really would like to find some people here, to play together and have fun with it. Even if I’m new to that “old” game. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work!

Hey everyone. My name is Travis.

I won’t start this conversation as if I have been a hardcore fan since day one and been an online advocate to re open the original servers. I picked up Hell Gate London when it first released, I was still in High school, and could barely run it on my pc. I never bought into the subscription fees but I understand now that I missed out on the larger portion of what made the game great. In short, I played by myself, not online. And I honestly had a lot of fun even though I managed an average of 15 frames per second. So when I dug out my box of old PC games and found my Hell Gate London Case I thought “Hey, My new PC could run this!”. Funny enough, even though I can set everything to their highest settings, when I selected the lowest setting for Anti-aliasing my frame rate dropped back to 15-20 fps. If I have it off I have 60fps and higher. I don’t notice much of a difference, as far as graphics go, with it off though so it’s not a huge deal. Performance issues aside I had also thought that there must be some private servers by now so that I can play online with people.

So what could have been summed up in a few sentence rather than my hell gate life story.

Thank you to all to those who work on giving me, and maybe others like me, the chance to play Hell Gate Online. I hope that I can find people to play with this time arround.

Nick here,

In game is usually GT-something

I have been playing this game since its original beta. Back then I was Bullitt-something.

I love that you all brought the game back and hope it continues. Let me know how I can help.

Thanks, see you in hell

Holy Hellgate Batman!!

I cannot believe I just logged into the game again.

Awesome Work! One of the best games ever!!

Hello Everybody!

Founder

HCE Character : 2Gunz GG

Glad i Stumbled on to this London 2038! cant wait to get back in game and feel the nostalgia of this timeless game of old! Lets get some testing underway!

For The Living

Hello all! Just got back into the game last night on this server, I was one of the hopeful few who paid for the lifetime subscription back in the day. Always liked the game and wishes it hadn’t been in shut down.

Look for me in game, same name, Sajakk.

Hey there, we are fans as well. I have several characters, just started summoner. My husband and I play each weekend when we can. Look us up.

Hi ya’ll!

Just found this fan made project some days ago after searching for any life sign of HL during the last couple of years. I played this game with a friend of mine when it came out more than 10 years ago and it was one of my best gaming experiences I had so far. Therefore I was quite disappointed, when I heard that the Server have been shut down (except for China at that time). So every now and then I searched the internet, hoping that someone might revive it again.

This is why I am sooo happy that you guess from London 2038 have taken up this project and brought back this awesome title. I played it with a friend yesterday and it felt just like in 2007. The Gameplay, the humor, the whole Feeling is still amazing and I felt so happy to also see other players than the two of us.

So, to come to an end: Thank you so, so much for this awesome job! I have streamed my Session yesterday and will keep doing that so that hopefully some more people join our fight in London!

Cheers,

Alan

Hellgate Memories

by Godless / Futility

A fair warning to the reader: this might end up as a long and winding rambling of an old player of HG:L back from 2007.

As, probably, most of you back in the days I have played Diablo, then Diablo II, LoD. I only played softcore and mostly online solo. I remember Diablo, Travincal and Baal Runs; waiting long nights half-asleep for the magic phrase to pop “Diablo walks the Earth.” Eventually I quit and somewhat forgot about it.

Not sure how I stumbled upon the Hellgate website and learned that a new game was being developed by the former Diablo team people. New concept and classes looked weird but they did include a caster, so I was sold on it.

I participated in either a pre-release beta or a demo that was limited in content up to Occulis boss.

I liked the game enough to pre-order Collector’s Edition to get all the bonus gimmicks. The fan-boi in me went even further. Back then, depending on which store you preordered the game from you’d get an exclusive in-game (purely cosmetic) Dye Kit. Pre-order from Best Buy had a Biohazard dye kit, Gamestop - Lava, Walmart – Royal, EA preorder - Wasp. Well, I got them all – not sure if each cost me $10 or if I got the empty pre-order boxes with codes for free after release. But I did have them all. Of course, I bought into Founders offer, as well.

After release I enjoyed the game for a while. I was excited to hit Level 30 and finally get Arc Legion which was awesome. Who cared that its pre-requisite Tempest was broken and did little to no damage.

I remember Blood Moon achievement discussion and the consensus that it had to be done on a Full Moon in October, so it couldn’t be completed in 2007 and we had to wait a year to get it.

I recall public-chatting with Ping0 Community Manager in game I forgot her name but she was nice with everyone, friendly and down to Earth. Found her through Google – Diane “Tiggs” Migliacio.

I remember “Butsecs”, I remember some sarcastic player spamming “Skullsplitter is the best skill in game – Fact!” every 5 minutes. It was fun, I guess.

I remember Fawkes Day event in November which was initially a disaster. Flames animation in certain areas resulted in major FPS drops. A whole bunch of useless and/or unstackable seasonal items – potatoes, anyone? It was somewhat fixed in a day or two. I was proud to have finished all the seasonal quests, gathered all the ingredients and completed the Fawkes Force Five trinket.

Shortly after Tempest was fixed and it was a sight to behold. That’s when I was lured to the Dark Side of Hardcore by one of the players – her game name was Blood-Doll. My build was new, safe and powerful Tempest, Brom’s Curse and bugged Venom Armor that ticked way too fast and healed you in seconds; of coruse, it also killed you in seconds when facing Infested-type mobs. I reached level 48 out of 50 before I quit playing due to other issues.

The game still had a lot of issues – bugs, terrible stat feeds, random affixes and itemization, delayed subscriber/founder content. The number of online players kept shrinking to the point when FSS disabled the in-game /who command to prevent seeing how very few players were online. Last I recall, the count was 1700-2200 people.

Dissatisfaction grew, especially with the Founders crowd who were getting no value from their subscription (other than double stash size). I was younger, cockier and bitter (nowadays - saltier is the term). I made quite a few scathing remarks on Official Forums, created some mildly offensive avatar icons, like Dunce Cap Hellgate Founder Logo, or Flagshit Flag. Well, sure enough some kid they newly hired to moderate (meaning censor) the increasingly negative forums, has banned me without a warning for, I believe, a month. I wrote to support and got no reply or a one-line message stating something like “Banned for: Trolling.”

Here’s the e-mail I sent FSS in early 2008:

RANT START [code]

To whom it may concern

Ref: Forum Access
Acct name: Godless

I have recently and unfairly been denied access to the Hellgate website forums.
While I understand the need for moderation, some of the forum administrators
have been abusing their ban privileges.

I neither used foul language nor personal attacks towards anybody.
I did express dissatisfaction with the treatment of members (founders)
by the game company and moderators.

For you to make an opinion of what kind of customer/person I am, feel free
to examine badges associated with my account and the history of my posts on
the website forum. I've been trying to be supportive and helpful member of
community most of the time. Alas, every patience has a limit, so lately,
I have grown tired of waiting for the promises to come true and stated that
in my avatar/signature.

Please, remedy, the situation to, at least, restoring my forum access rights.
Should you choose to ignore my request, and I will neither receive a response
from your company, nor gain access to forums, I will see no other solution
but to cancel my subscription/dispute charges. Though I hate to do that, lack
of subscriber content provided, aggravated by horrible customer treatment
would compel me to do so. In a time when the future of your product and company
is reliant on continued subscriber support, it would be unwise to let your customers
go so easily. It does remain your choice, however.

Sincerely,

RANT END [/code]

Anyhow, I was gagged and blinded at the forums, which really pissed me off.

Stonehenge just got released and it was also messy. Removed /who command was the last straw for me. I saw the writing on the wall and sold my Founder’s Account on Ebay for $200. I think it was a fair price, with all the Dye Kits, Fawkes Force Five, +1 Evoker Skills Helmet (which were rare at the time) and Level 48 Hardcore evoker. It wasn’t a bad deal if the company didn’t go under in ~6 months. Oh, well, if the buyer of my account is here now, I’m sorry, I guess.

Well, that pretty much concludes my reminiscence of the Hellgate Past. I’m glad the dev team brought it back to life. I’m really enjoying my nostalgia in game right now. It is not as bad as I remember despite its flaws. Currently leveling my SC Evoker and re-learning all the mechanics, like Riftcoils, permastun etc. Haven’t seen the new bosses yet. Not sure I’ll want to dip into HC this time. Too much time investment to be insta-killed by some BS mechanics. Plus, I enjoy playing sloppy and leisurely while drinking after a day’s work.

It’s kind of ironic that nowadays something as unfinished as Hellgate is, could very well succeed if released as an Early Access Indie game.

To this day Hellgate still remains a flawed game with some enjoyable aspects. I still believe the HGL vacuum is best implementation of loot pickup in any game. Some of the monsters are quite memorable. Certain locations of the very limited number of tilesets are also beautiful (Ancient Blood). Some NPCs are fun and memorable (Arlo & Tiberius).

I don’t quite know for how long my nostalgia is going to last but for now I’m enjoying the game. Looking forward to seeing end-game content. Thanks to everyone who made the project happen and keep it going.

Please, forgive me being somewhat hectic and sporadic in my recollections.

Take care,

Futility / Godless

PS Somewhat unrelated piece of history:

Hello all :slight_smile: old Hellgate fan that’s new to the fun and excited to play this game online again! I look forward to helping test out this alpha phase as much as i can! keep up the good work :smiley:

First, I’m completely amazed this exists! I’m a long time fan of the game, a founder from the original Flagship days and also put about 3 or 4 months into Global back in 2014.

The Steam announcement and recent press about it gave me a huge pang of nostalgia for my old Marksman dual wielding a pair of Hu’s Hypershots. I long for those days. I thought I’d scratch that itch with a few days of single player with my old disc. I installed the game and began to search for a patch. 2038 came up on Google and once learning that there was an active Multiplayer community, I signed up immediately.

I’m playing under the name BakedZiti. If anyone sees me around, I’m always willing to accept an invite to play MP.

Very nice work, I can’t believe, there’re jumping other characters around the stations and the chat is alive :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Thanks for that :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

CU ingame :sweat_smile: (what a feeling, to say this again, yeeeehaaaa​:metal:t2:)

Hi,

My Name is Rob in Discord and on Server :slight_smile:
Played Original and Global.

hope to see you ingame

Hey peeps !

I played the original release back in 2007 and never touched Global.

I was brought here after buying the mess that is the 2018 Steam version and googling about Hellgate… this led me to the Revival mod, and subsequently here thanks to hellgateaus.info :smiley:

I don’t have as much time to play games as before, but I hope to see you ingame and maybe group together :wink:

Hi Everyone. I had originally bought Hellgate London when it came out and then put it aside to play other games. That’s when Hanbitsoft took it over and I no longer bothered with it. I recently bought it cheap on Steam but that release was a mess. That’s when I found out about this site and server. Luckily, I still had my original disks in a drawer and installed 2038.

I just started a fresh Engineer today named “Xyyth”. I’ll be around playing off and on as I have a few other games I play with friends, but when they aren’t around, I’ll be here. Looking forward to playing through all this content again as I had forgot most of it. Seeya around…

Wow just discovered this project. My name is Jake and I played this game way back in the day, I think I had even purchased the collectors edition. I have since gotten rid of it but made a digital copy of my installation disk and kept the CD key on file. I’ll definitely be checking this out. :wink:

Hey there.
I have good memories playing the original…
And seeing you guys trying to revive it online, thx and congratz for that.
I’ll definitly have a look at that.
See you ingame :wink:

Wow thats a name i remember from way back.
Its me Ellymentl (Evoker) or Mystrique (Engineer)