New off build: Gunvoker

This one is for the fellow Cabalist that didnt pass the evocation tests in school and said “why learning when there are guns?”

Disclaimer: this is an off build not meant to be meta. It can do all the content including Catas and Abyss just not as fast as the meta builds though.
If you are new to Hellgate i wouldnt advise to start with this one.

So here it goes:
The main goal was to make the evoker actually do damage with guns. Older builds used to utilize onhits in Hydra weapons or the 600rof Baneblasters but after the shrap nerf they werent working anymore.
Chaos Pistols always were good on dmg but due to the fuse time of the rockets there weren’t fun and you were wasting alot of dmg due to overdamaging the mobs. With the latest patch the fuse time was reduced and now they work better and look pretty cool aswell.

This build utilizes all the skills the evoker has to support gunning of which there are not alot. First of all concentrate dmg which sadly has a much longer cooldown than Guardians anchor so it needs to be timed better. Then spectral curse which is the fun part of it. It also needs to be timed well together with concentrate to get very satisfying explosions. You can do fun things like pull alot of mobs to a Boss and then oneshot him in the aoe.
A very good source of dmg is the evokers trusty friend the ember. He can tank and with enough Minion damage can hold its own. He helps alot with the Cata bosses due to its ignite. But sometimes it is better to dismiss him so you can pull mobs together and kill actually faster with Spectral curse, depends on the mobs.
Another gamplay option the Gunvoker has, is tanking with Broms curse.
He is also super mobile and fast with Blink and high movement speed.
I also put a point in Arcane shield and have focus set to switch to and refresh the shields. I know it is not that pure but it brings speed to the built as he can recover more quickly. Venom armor are an options here aswell as eledrain. I wish Arcan Shield and Ele Drain would be non focus skill, wouldnt really hurt of that got changed.

Stats: whereever possible dont put points in Will and Strength but spare them for Stamina and Accu.

Perks:Ideally Crit, Ele, Accu, Dmg, Minion Dmg though you might need to perk some other stats. Crit ad Ele are set though.

Here is the skilltree:
https://london2038.com/skill-planner/#Evoker,50,50,0,v1.000010000000000000aa00007a15000070

Gear:
I am currently going pretty much full feral gear with Miniondmg. The good thing about the build is, you dont need a +1 Helmet so can either use the set Helmet or the Veiled Thread and find one that others see as misauged with Minion dmg and no +1.
The set feral chest piece and the boots are are best in slot. The first for the high +AA and the latter for its utility and phase.
Belt is a matter of flavor though i advocate a Balbis as it boosts Weapon damage alot. The feral set belt is also good with its 60%+ Minion damage and catapults the Ember to Warper type of damage but i like guns more and the 20% incr damage helps with boosting spell curse.
The rest could be normal ferals with Minion Damage though Heavenly feral with Minion would be best in slot.
Trinket needs to be a Dmg/Minion dmg one (Fulcrums Scale).

Modding the weapons depends on whats already on the guns and 5 slot Chaos Pistols are not easy to find. I have one gun with alot of crit related affixes which i supported with the mods. The other one has more general dmg in wich i put more dmg and phase and ignite. You could also have a special ele weapon set for igniting Bosses but i tend to have an alround set.

Weapon options or better to say notable cabalist weapons because there is no way around the Chaos Pistols in most situations:

Eel launchers with ignite Mods - ignite needs to be fairly high to ignite Cata bosses though.
Banebasters: 600 rof with splash is nice and if you find a crazy mythic they might be an alternative
Alucards Continuum: Spectral Spiker with life leech. You will be hard to down when using these. They have a long fuse time though an lack abit of damage. But with good augs they may work too.
Pyrocasters: pretty good for aoe, especially global ones.

Here is a little Gameplay video of my Gunvoker in his non optimized r22 state:
https://vimeo.com/365393645

Have fun!

2 Likes

Update:

Inernous is also a very nice weapon if not better than Chaos Pistols.
And that is not only because it does good damage after the buff. It is also its mechanic that is super fun and unusual. The slow ball moves 35m and homes in to the mob shot at. It then does some damage (4m splash, 5% Crit inherent - i got a global one) and then goes one to the next mob. I had it zigzag a SH Room killing most of the mobs in one go.
It also works like a charm with Spectral curse and the ember since after you have 3 Balls underway and the Ember doing its thing your curses actually feel like they trigger instantly becasue stuff is dying all around.
In rifts you can lean back concentrated on the stairs and clear the whole area in front of the stairs.

Here is a little Video of a Brompton Infernous rund (sadly no sound):
https://vimeo.com/user17085049

Edit: Did a 14 min run on Sydo Nightmare - was a surprise for myself that it worked out so well. Now the only nemesis i have is Molloch in Catas.

3 Likes

Ok little update on the Gunvoker as he is heading towards rank 40.

Since i now have Minion damage everywhere even on my Balbis i figured i could use my focus set which was only used for Arcane Shield and also cast Spectral Serpents as they are affected by minion damage. But for what they are doing and given the fact that i cant put alot of points into them they really did not perform that well. You need to near max it so that they stay longer to have a benefit from them. In the end it takes away a lot of time to switch weapons and cast them and you will miss 2-3 Infernous Shots. So if you happen to have a Dark Visage with +1 and Minion Damage they might be an alternative. But for the time being i put the last points into the Shield Recharge skill under Arcane Shield as it is a passive skill.

Cata Molloch is also no problem anymore, you just need to stay close to him so that he doesnt cast his firefield.
Morax and Cata Talox on the otherhand are not killable for me atm. Since the Gunvoker with infernous builds up damage and more or less dots and also has very few options to burst these two need to be shocked (Morax) or poisoned (Cata Talox) to prevent them from healing up and i havent found any gun to succeed in that no matter what i did.

However the Gunvoker with the infernous (my main gun is a global infernous- sadly only 2 slot) is currently by far my fastest Char in clearing Catas and that also stems from the fact that he can be super tanky with max Broms and thus can run in everywhere headlessly and still survive and at close quarters as explained above the infernous applies the most overall damage.

2 Likes

If you’re willing to bend the Gunvoker concept, here’s a wild thought; you could use a Bloodshard… as a “gun”.
Their autoattack seems to be working very well for applying poison, their +armor would be decent, and there’s a few Uniques that could provide decent bonuses; Tuskull for Broms/Drain Life and +phase, Ironbound for +hp and WILL, Fist for +hp and whenhit novas. Them being foci would also allow you to use Elemental Drain, Venom Armor, and Arcane Shield (and skills such as Serpents, since you’ve chosen to use those).

I am allready feeling “bad” for using the third weapon set to cast Arcane shield and thus being not a pure gunvoker lol.

But yeah i want to find a way not to skip Morax and Cata Talox. My eyes currently lie on a potential biotox rifle with additional toxic aug - the last one i havent tried. It has a inherent toxic attack value and lots of slots. But i will check out the autoattack on the bloodshards (have sold so many good ones recently to finance my augmentation orgies).

Def is btw currently the last thing i need. I got 1700HP and max Broms (and a tanky ember), a weapon that kindof dot damages in a 8m radius with 4 projectiles flying around. When there is density i am not going to die.

And double btw i definitly think novas need to get upped a bit. Their damage does not much against the Cata bosses though i wish to use them again especially on this char in Baneblasters and maybe Hydras. But they are strength related, aren’t they? Might not be a good stat for evokers.