In the same direction as the Evo mini-guide to Dessy, this mini-guide is meant to highlight the ways in which newcomer Summoners may best tackle the benign undead husk that is Dessy.
To copy, since Dessy always ticks the same:
"What’s a Dessy, and how it ticks
The Desiccator (often abbreviated as “Dessy”) is, essentially, a large Hellmeat. Thus, it shares their slow movement and infrequent melee slap-like strikes. This is where similarities end, however.
It has a unique skill that petrifies a player within ~20 meters of it for 7 seconds, during which time the player is rendered immobile, but is also invulnerable to damage for the duration of the petrification.
It also summons a number of mummified versions of Lurkers, which can be fairly dangerous in large numbers. Said mummies also possess a skill of their own, that immobilizes them while granting them massive Shields.
Lastly, Dessy is currently the only boss to possess a passive regeneration-over-time property (as opposed to instant regeneration, like Sekworm’s), along with massive armor and elemental resistances. It is this resilience that makes this encounter as difficult as it is, often being an impossible one to beat if players can’t deal more damage than it regenerates."
Poison? Maybe. CCM? Leave it alone. Minion damage? FTW.
This may well be the single best encounter for solo Summoners. One may even argue that such bosses as this one, and arguably the later Imhotep, have been taylor-made for this class to properly function as a very practical minion-hive tank.
The Desiccator in particular becomes easy, practically harmless prey for Summoners, for a few reasons.
- The Petrification doesn’t interrupt damage output, as minions remain unphased by it.
- The Petrification renders players invincible, so it’s practically of benefit.
- Minions (particularly Forces) ensure the player is kept safe when not petrified.
- Non-Force minions may still be fragile, but they’re kept out of harm’s way, and thus can be stacked for tremendous damage.
What this translates to in terms of gear and setup is a rather unconventional result, by early 2038 standards anyway.
+Poison strength becomes a decent option, as Toxics will be hitting more than the player and total damage will outdo Dessy’s regeneration, and CCM becomes entirely useless. What truly shines is, +minion damage.
As mentioned above, the otherwise fragile Elementals are perfectly sustainable in this encounter. With this in mind, otherwise dubious builds become viable in this scenario.
4 is a rough number, and may be increased or decreased according to the player’s wishes, gear and available Power. 4 should be a safe minimum to keep foes at bay, away from Toxics.
Those fragile poison furnaces are almost completely safe in this encounter, so they’re maxed for maximum damage and poison chance. The field their attacks leave behind also assists in killing mummies on spawn, and also boasts synergy with Brom’s if the player chooses to use it.
10/10 Warper, 7/7 Spellstorm, 7/7 Spectral Strike
The true star, the Warper will deal massive damage and phase Dessy on ocassion. Maxing both the main skill and the 2 commands ensures the Warper is as powerful as he can be.
3/6 Blood Link, 10/10 Summoning Circle
As safe as he may be here, the Warper is still a fragile nuke on batlegs. Maxing Circle allows him to survive any surprise blows.
5/5 Elemental Drain
While it’s an excellent bonus towards applying poison and phase, this skill has a few disadvantages that downgrade it to a secondary option.
- Its range of 20m forces the player into Petrification range, which may disrupt its long cast animation.
- It is a decent point investment of 10-11 total skillpoints (2+2+2+4, or 5 if there’s a +1 AS), which players may not be able to afford.
- Using it requires a focus item, that many Summoners may choose to not wield over other options (such as dual Master’s Hands, for a total of +2 to all skills).
While always a great panic button, this is such a safe encounter for Summoners that it can by no means be considered a primary skill.
10/10 Elemental Nova
This skill boasts a 10-second CD when maxed, so it’s a decent option to consider in-between petrifications. However, Toxics will often be out of range, Forces will not provide noteworthy damage, and 10 points may not be available to max it.
5/5 Master of the Elements
This may prove to be a primary skill, depending on the player’s available Power pool and desired numbers of Elementals. However, Power can be safely managed without it, so it’s deemed secondary.
More Elementals, and/or 10/10 Spectral Elemental
One may choose to invest into more Elementals, and it certainly wouldn’t be a wasted investment. However, it’s deemed secondary as it’s not required to surpass Dessy’s regeneration, the Power pool may be too strained, and points may not be available for branching out this much.
The shiny gear
The only truly necessary properties on armor for this encounter are +minion stats, +AA (All Attributes), and possibly +WILL.
- Go for the “Dominating” (+40-50% minion damage, +10-15% health and armor) mythic property. This stacks with the “Scathing” (+40-50% minion damage) legendary property that may appear or be augmented on gear, thus practically doubling the +damage cap that can be attained.
- +Minion armor and health may be secondary, but minions still benefit from them. Forces may be sturdy by nature, but leaving them entirely unboosted may render them too fragile.
- +AA and +WILL are meant to pump the Power pool to levels that can sustain the Elementals.
In terms of weapons, one may choose to use two Unique “The Master’s Hand” guns, for a total of +2 to All Skills.
A Bloodshard may be used for their high inherent poison strength, and would best be modded with +poison strength relics. Using a Bloodshard or any foci also enables the use of such skills as Elemental Drain.
A Hive Shard gun, also modded with +poison strength relics, could be used, as it produces a toxic field that deals constant damage and increases the chances of applying poison. Their low inherent radius may be alleviated by seeking ones with the “Global” and/or “Megacircumferential” properties (mythic and legendary, +100% and +20% radius respectively), and/or using mods with the “Amplified” legendary property (+15% radius).
So that’s it!
Possible expansions, elaborations, and demonstrational video to follow soon